"Outside of the Boot" editorial football website named the Asian top football players based on performances in the past calendar year with a help of international journalists. The journalists voted for ranking Asian footballers who either played in Asian country's football league or played in any leagues around the world. Surprisingly, Uzbekistan national team's striker Igor Sergeev placed in this list containing Asian 10 top players.
The Best Series was begun with a name of AFC Player of the Year Award 2016 and the runner-up of AFC Champions league 2016, Omar Abdulrahman. One of Asia’s most coveted players, if not the most, was on the verge of winning what would be his only un-achieved trophy during his time at Al-Ain.
The second place was secured by China national team and Shanghai International Port Group (SIPG) FC player, We Lei. In this season, Wu Lei scored 14 goals in the Super League, sent 3 assists, is the local striker king. In the AFC Champions League, Wu Lei played on behalf of Hong Kong 9 times, scoring 5 goals, sending 2 assists. And, Wu Lei at the age of 24 has become the team's top scorer. In the rapid development of Chinese football, Wu Lei will play an important role.
Top 3 of the best series was ended with Ali Mabkhout who performed the successful season scoring 14 goals in 9 matches which led to break many records.Similarly, Mabkhout has played on behalf of the UAE 46 times, scoring 36 goals.
Meet the Asian Top-10 football players according to the edition of Outside of the Boot
10. Ali Adnan (Iraq) - Udinese
9. Alirezo Jahanbakhsh (I.R. Iran) - AZ Alkmaar
8. Igor Sergeev (Uzbekistan) - FC Pakhtakor (played on loan at Beijing Guoan)
7. Heung-Min Son (South Korea) - Tottenham Hotspur
6. Shinji Okazaki (Japan) - Leicester City
5. Hammadi Ahmad (Iraq) - Al Jawiya
4. Sardar Azmoun (I.R. Iran) - FC Rostov
3. Ali-Mabkhout (United Arab Emirates) - Al Jazira
2. Wu Lei (China) - Shanghai International Port Group (SIPG) FC
1. Omar Abdel Rahman (United Arab Emirates) - Al Ain